Are you suffering from persistent bad breath? Worry not as you are not alone. It is estimated that 25% of the people are affected by bad breath says the dentist near Peoria. Bad breath is also known as halitosis. Several reasons are responsible for halitosis and, poor oral hygiene is one of them. Though it can cause worry and anxiety, it can be treated, explains the dentist near 85382.
Fast Facts on Bad Breath
- Bad breath is estimated to affect 1 in 4 people across the globe.
- Common cause of bad breath is poor oral hygiene.
- If food particles are left in the mouth, bacteria break them down and produce sulfur compounds.
- Keeping your mouth hydrated can help.
What is Halitosis?
Bad breath is quite among people, but it can cause embarrassment. There are various causes and treatments available for halitosis. In fact, it is the third most common reason for which people seek dental care. Simple lifestyle changes such as quitting smoking, improved dental hygiene, and avoiding strongly flavored food and beverages can help in overcoming bad breath.
- Always practice good oral hygiene to prevent decay and gum disease.
- Visit the dentist in Peoria twice a year for dental checkup and cleaning.
- The dentist may recommend toothpaste, which includes antibacterial agent or antibacterial mouthwash.
- In case of gum disease, professional cleaning may help.
- Consumption of tobacco
- Having food items such as onion and garlic
- Dry mouth due to medicines or underlying medical condition
- Lack of proper oral hygiene such as brushing and flossing
- Certain mouth, nose, or throat conditions
- Foreign body lodged in nasal cavity
- Diseases such as cancers, liver failure, and metabolic disease
Rarer causes of bad breath
- Bowel obstruction
- Aspiration pneumonia
The specific odor depends on the reason causing bad breath. You can lick your wrist and let it dry. Smell it and try to gauge what it suggests.
- Gas chromatography
- BAN test
- Beta- galactosidase test
- Brushing teeth regularly
- Cleaning dentures
- Brushing tongue
- Avoiding dry mouth
- Avoiding food with strong flavor